04 May 2017

Revisiting Madhatter's Library and Creating a Home Library







Since it has been awhile, and a few changes were made again, I thought we would stop in and visit the Madhatter.








Interviewer: What makes a library?
Madhatter: Collections... books, shells, rocks, art, teacups... whatever one loves to collect...
The Madhatter loves clocks and art of other Madhatters.









Interviewer: Have you read the books?
Madhatter:  I get asked that question all of the time.
Probably 75% or maybe more, maybe less, have been read over the course of many years.
The paperbacks are in the cabinets.
Let me point out that the crown molding at the top of the cabinet is new. I bought a piece that would reach the ceiling. I think it makes the bookcase look more grand.









Interviewer: What does a library need beside a shelf?
Madhatter: It needs a table... or a small side table for a a cup or tea or drink...
and a comfy chair... at least one...









Interviewer: Excuse me, but your library looks over the top. Do things have to be new?

Madhatter: No... Most things in the Madhatter's Library are second hand finds, even the books collected over time and not expensive, even the special tall chairs.
75% maybe more of the decor and collections...
not just the chairs, but the table, the glass cabinet, gold mirror, and so on...
books, teacups, clocks... were found in vintage and second hand shops. It's a process. Over the years the library grew.  In my first home, I started with just a few dedicated shelves, a chair, and a light in the corner of  a big closet. In the second home... it became two bookcases... in the third home... the books were moved to one room with the same bookcases... and so on... until today's


























Interviewer: What else contributes to a library's function?
Madhatter: If you have tall bookcases, and you are short; you need a step.
This one was just repainted to this Swedish dusty pink with a Jeanne D' Arc chalk paint.
And lighting is important...  Here is an old photo from a few years ago showing our overhead lighting... There is a lamp beside the chair.
In this photo, you can also see that the crown molding on the bookcase was not the right size, and that we moved this light gray table to the sleeping porch.
I also put the trunk filled with costumes in storage, so I would have room for the rocking horse. I also rolled out the rug again.










Interviewer: How did you choose the colors?
Madhatter: The walls are the same color as the kitchen...
and the colors are the same ones used elsewhere in the house... just less white... with emphasis on the gray and the moody blues... and then a bit of white, and an occasional touch of pink, so the room would transition nicely to "Jill's" bedroom which is darker, but uses the same scheme with more white.  These rooms are a "Jack and Jill" arrangement... Two bedrooms side by side. The bigger one has two entrances, one from the porch. Oops! I left a fruit bowl on a chair that I was putting back in the kitchen. )






Interviewer: What makes this room You-nique You...
Madhatter: That giant Chess piece from a match in the garden...
Rabbit vases... hat boxes... scissors and measuring tape, images of other hatters...
including a painting collected by a family member when traveling...









Interviewer: What do you do to make your library special?
Madhatter: At dusk, I cut fresh flowers, herbs, and roses from the queen's garden and turn on the twinkle lights...
and have a cup of tea... I would watch others play chess, but they gave it up several years ago, because a cat would knock the pieces over.


Thank you for visiting.
xoxo
Su


My home tour 2017 is here.
My living room is here.
My master is here.
My desk is here.

Featured at:

French Country Cottage
Sharing with:

French Country Cottage


and

Shabby Art Boutique

31 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous space! If I'd had something like this, I may not have given most of my books away. I just don't have the room.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Brenda. The upper shelves are narrow. The house is under 1100 feet and our back porch (sleeping porch) is about 300. We did this in the smallest bedroom, so going up was the best way. I think if I only had a living room, I would still do this, only because I don't watch television, and I don't know if I could live without any collections. xoxo Su

      Delete
  2. Couldn't resist stopping by and taking a closer look. Simply WONDERful.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Marcia, for visiting, and leaving a comment. I checked out your blog. I liked your wonderland cup. I like what you are doing to, but I could not figure out if there was commenting. xoxo Su

      Delete
    2. Thank you for visiting, Su. Most of the time I have comments open, some days I like to give my readers/blog friends a little quiet retreat. To see them you either scroll down or click on post title.
      Lovely weekend.

      Delete
  3. I love your library, it is so comfortable and i love all the collectibles. It looks wonderful to be able to sit down, read and have a cup of tea. Thanks so much for sharing this stunning post with us.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mary. Have a wonderful evening. xoxo Su

      Delete
  4. Su I always delight in a peek into the Mad Hatters Library and having a complete tour inside was just absolute eye candy. A magical treasure trove of whimsical curiosities with a heavy hand sprinkling of enchantment!
    xoxo,
    Vera
    PS the crown molding to frame the bookcases adds detail and grandeur.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Vera. We have had so much fun creating this whimsical space over the years. I agree. The crown molding really gives it a finished, elegant quality. It's just one of those little things that we put off doing, when we had bigger projects to tackle. Have a wonderful evening. xoxo Su

      Delete
  5. This is a such soothing space. Everything is very elegant
    Hugs Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alessandra, for visiting and leaving such kind encouragement. Have a wonderful weekend. xoxo Su

      Delete
  6. Oh what a lovely room. I would never leave it if it were mine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debra. That was real sweet of you to stop by and leave me a message. Have a wonderful weekend. xoxo Su

      Delete
  7. Your library is one of my favorites. I would sit there all day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Carol. Have a beautiful day! xoxo Su

      Delete
  8. This was a magical post! Love the new crown molding and all the whimsy pieces added over time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Magali. I'm happy that you enjoy the magic of this room. Have a great week ahead. xoox Su

      Delete
  9. So lovely and inspiring.. What a pretty pink step stool. And your Madhatter interview is very enchanting. Have a lovely week <3
    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Tamara, for stopping by and the sweet note... A lovely week to you to... xoxo Su

      Delete
  10. My favorite room in your home... of course I love all the rooms and the garden, but I have a special place in my heart for madhatters ;)

    xoxo,
    rue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rue. That's so sweet of you. xoxo Su

      Delete
  11. You have so many interesting accessories in your home. I love your collections. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nancy. Well most of the accessories are in this room. :) Otherwise, I don't like a lot of things displayed. I do have another china cabinet outside my kitchen door in the carport, and my daughter has one in her room too, to contain. xoxo Su

      Delete
  12. I could spend a very happy afternoon in this beautiful room, browsing through your books.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Su, This room is fit for the Queen of hearts! How cozy, how adorable~ It is welcoming and yes a tea is in order! Fabulous job I loved everything about it! Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mary, for your sweet adorable comments. I forgot to show the crowns! xoxo Su

      Delete
  14. Just so beautiful as always!
    I love the furnitures!
    I think the colours, furnitures and finally...the books, makes the home library looks so cozy.

    Have a lovely day!
    Hugs,
    Susanna

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su