24 May 2017

The Summer Porch






There was a cottage. A white worn rental by the beach on a bay with the highest tides in the world.   I walked up the uneven three steps. I was only ten, and at ten there were only eight of us kids. This would be our home this summer.  A little white gas stove , so narrow. Crooked wooden gray floors and linoleum in other spots. But my favorite room was the narrow bedroom, really a hallway off the kitchen. Just one bed, tucked under the window, with faded floral sheets that my mother brought with us. There I would read Oliver Twist, and look out the window every morning attempting to forecast the weather for the day.

Most every day, my best friend, one of my sisters, would go down a steep stairway to the beach. Unless, the water was as high as the stairs... We didn't always splash in the tide, because it was cold, but we usually brought a pail for treasure. We were on our own in those days. I ten and my sister four years less.  It was the two of us always... hiking the Grand Canyon, fishing on the Mississippi, wading the bay, swimming in the lake, trying to speak French in Canada, sand in our Keds by the sea... wherever my father took us when he worked.

This porch sometimes reminds of that cottage... Though I think it might have been older than this one which is almost three quarters of a century.  The surfaces are not the same. Brick on two sides and wood on the other two, and cement gray epoxy floors... older, but fresh.  In the summer, I try to make the home simpler.  I've lived about half my life in the desert, but that's cumulative, not continuously, so I still love shells and beaches.

So I've snapped a few photos, not on the same days, but basically this is home for the summer. I didn't show you the table behind the couch, because there is laundry on it, and it is semi-folded. After all, the laundry area is on the porch, and almost every day the porch is used like a bedroom by one of us.



I love the way the light hits the shell in the morning.






One thing for certain is that there are flowers from my garden as long as I have them, and the bouquets change every few days.















For now, I moved this end table to the porch, and placed a basket underneath for towels.
It use to be in the living room, before I changed the sofa.







The nubby spread was my great Aunt's.









Usually no one watches television, so this table can end up with stuff on it. The day I took this photo it happened to be pretty, so I just put the flowers down next to the pillow sham that just was washed.










This chair is good for reading or for Lucy the Cat's nap.







These pieces are all slipcovered. Which is great, because I pushed open one of the french doors  too far to let more air in, and it hit the fan, and dust went everywhere, and it didn't brush off.  ( Never got around to shorten the rod of the fan.)  Here is my cottage home tour for 2017.

I like shells and flowers for summer. Do you simplify for summer?

Thank you for reading.
xoxo
Su

You can follow me in these places.

Butterfly and Bungalow Instagram

Pinterest

Bloglovin

I also tried Bloglovin's new feature. I wrote a post on my desert lilac tree. It worked so easily, and it posted, but for now I have no idea where it went. I don't see it there. Ha
My Bloglovin post



Sharing with:

French Country Cottage

Shabby Art Boutique


Featured at:

Shabby Art Boutique



























34 comments:

  1. The beach, something so soothing hearing the waves crash, finding little treasures in the sand. I hope you can visit the beach during this summer and visit your sister too. Make wonderful memories again.
    The Nest was thought provoking, Thank you,
    Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kathleen. It would be fun to go to the beach with my sister; we have not done that in a few years. xoxo Su

      Delete
  2. I loved the feelings you put into writing The Nest, beautiful Su. I am praying with you.
    I also enjoyed this post. I love all the bouquets you have in your home.
    Me too, I love flowers and have them inside in all our rooms.
    xx oo
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Carla. It is so special to be able grow your own flowers and food. Have a wonderful week. xoxo Su

      Delete
  3. Your porch is beautiful, Su and your memories took me back to my own lovely childhood beach days. If I didn't know you lived in the desert, I could swear that by the looks of your home, the ocean must be just steps away...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim, that's so sweet of you. All they need to do is invent a hologram. I've got that long beach grass in the front, and it would be perfect. ;) xoxo Su

      Delete
  4. Lovely as always. The pillow in the last photo is so pretty - love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is handmade by a talented local lady. xoxo Su

      Delete
  5. It's gorgeous. What a beautiful space xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post. I love to read life stories. Brings someone to life for me.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Brenda, that meant a lot to me. xoxo Su

      Delete
  7. Beautiful post and gorgeous pictures if your cozy home
    Hugs Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alessandra. Have a wonderful week. xoxo Su

      Delete
  8. Ahhhhhh the sound of the sea is so beautiful to wake to each morning. What great memories.
    Swooning through all your pictures Su. Happy Memorial weekend.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kris. It is such a wonderful soothing sound. Have a great weekend! xoxo Su

      Delete
  9. I loved seeing the porch, but your sweet childhood memory touched my heart.

    Yes, I simplify for summer, but the changes I'm making will stay year long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Carol.
      Yes. Basically that's what I do. No big changes. I just put some things away for awhile. It can stay like this for awhile, because stays hot until October. xoxo Su

      Delete
  10. lovely lovely tour, thank so much. The sleeping porch looks great and what a wonderful place to sit or lay down to read. I am a great reader and read about 2 to 3 books a week. So I have favorite places to read.

    You have a lovely home. Have a wonderful Memorial Weekend.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mary. I appreciate you stopping by. Have a beautiful weekend. xoxo Su

      Delete
  11. Beautiful! I also make changes for summer, I put away a lot of things and use paler colors for the linen. Anything to make a room feel light and airy and a little different from other seasons.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Amalia. Yes. Light and Airy... xoxo Su

      Delete
  12. You write so beautifully about your childhood. I could see it and feel it. Felt like a I was reading a very interesting novel.

    I love the way you move things around. You have such pitch perfect matching. I felt very summery and fresh as I scrolled around. Maybe, just maybe, I'll switch some things around now. It must be lovely to be able to cut flowers for indoors. I remember doing that from my childhood and it is a lovely memory.

    I always enjoy visiting you and want to do it more often. Thanks for the beauty inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lynda, that is so kind of you to tell me and to stop by. If you have space, it is nice to be able to grow your own flowers. Simple everyday beauty... I don't write here as much as would like anymore, because life takes me away, and I don't like not having time to properly respond in a timely manner. xoxo Su

      Delete
  13. What sweet memories from your childhood days at that beach cottage, Su! I could have read the entire book, so dreamy and nostalgic!

    Your summer porch is very pretty. Soft, airy and bright, just right for your hot and dry summers, which are very similar to ours, here on the island.

    I like simple all year long, and the older I get, the less stuff I want taking up the vibe and vitality of my space, in my heart and soul and in my home.

    Happy Sunday and Memorial Day, tomorrow!

    Poppy:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Poppy, for the sweet comment about the porch. I am so sorry that I am slow responding these days. I have a lot happening, so I blog less. xoxo Su

      Delete
    2. And I so agree with your sentiment of wanting less as we get older, or getting by with less. I'm happy to have smaller and less to take care of, because then we have more time for life and experiences. xoxo Su

      Delete
  14. Your porch looks lovely and I can see you read in that comfy chair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Magali. I do use that chair. I'm getting ready for our trip next month, but there is a lot going on, and I'm sorry that my response was slow. That's why I blog less these days. xoox Su

      Delete
  15. I lived at the beach when I was little too. Not full time of course, but summers and visiting my relatives. I miss those lazy days. Your porch is lovely and I don't blame you for spending a lot of time out there.

    I think the only think I simplify is my bed. I love taking out the chenille spread :)

    xo,
    rue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rue, nothing says summer more then a simple chenille spread. I remember those. Thank you so much for stopping by. It has been busy lately, and I have not had the time to spend here. I hope you are staying cool during the heatwave. I don't think it will get as hot as they have been hyping. But most people know to stay out of the heat. If they shut the hiking trails down during the day that would save a lot of trouble. xoxo Su

      Delete
  16. Every child should be so luck as to hold dear memories of beach days from long ago.
    I always enjoy a tour of your home Su... and especially this delightful and serene porch.
    Thank you for sharing it at Create, Bake, Grow & Gather this week. I'm delighted to be featuring it at tonight's party and pinning too!.
    Hugs,
    Kerryanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feature a couple of weeks ago. I responded at your blog, but I wanted to thank you here. I have had a lot going on so, I have been blogging less, because I like to be able to visit others and comment here as well. xoxo Su

      Delete
  17. Your porch is lovely and I don't blame you for spending a lot of time out there.


    ทางบ้าน

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a kind message today. I love to visit your blogs too, and I do when I can link back. xoxo Su